At Fatty Sundays we spend a lot of time thinking about chocolate, so we thought we’d share some fun facts about one of our favorite ingredients with you. Making small talk about the weather is so 2014 – liven up your chit chat with some of the delicious tidbits below!
Ten Little Known Chocolate Facts:
- M&Ms were invented during World War Two as a way for soldiers to enjoy chocolate without it melting
- Americans eat 1.4 billion pounds of chocolate every year
- In 2013, Belgium released a series of limited edition chocolate stamps
- The word chocolate comes from “Xcolatl,” an Aztec word that means “bitter water”
- Every single American and Russian space voyage has had chocolate bars on board
- The man who invented chocolate chip cookies sold the idea to Nestle Toll House in exchange for a lifetime supply of chocolate
- The Ivory Coast is the world’s biggest chocolate producer – it produces 37% of the world’s total
- German Chocolate Cake did not originate in Germany – it’s named after American Sam German
- The Aztec emperor Montezuma II drank more than 50 cups of chocolate every day
- The blood in Psycho’s famous shower scene was actually chocolate syrup!