7 Fun Facts about Brooklyn
I bet you didn’t know these facts about Brooklyn, our favorite borough:
- The deep-fried twinkie was invented in the borough.
- It was originally named Breucklen by Dutch colonists, named after a town in the Netherlands.
- Twizzlers were invented by the National Licorice Company in Brooklyn in 1845.
- Barbra Streisand, Larry King, Adam Sandler and Jay-Z were all born here.
- Williamsburg was once known for its sugar refining industry.
- Vinegar Hill was named to attract Irish immigrants to the area – it references a 1798 battle.
- The first air conditioner was installed in Williamsburg!